(Recipe of Prawn Pulao- Prawn/Shrimp Rice)
When it comes to shell fish, Prawns are undoubtedly the tastiest and the most flavorful in all of crustacean-land.They tend to lend a very strong flavor & elevate the taste of any food they are added to.
No offense to the Crabs & the Calamaris..I love you guys too.... but Prawns lead the way!
This is a recipe to Prawn Pulav which involves cooking prawns with a bunch of Indian spices & some rich Basmati rice.You can take either prawns or shrimp & of any desired size but make sure that they are fresh.The frozen ones don't taste as good as the fresh ones.
I made the pulao using Argentinian Prawns and Daawat Basmati Rice.
Prep. Time - 40 mins.
Serves - 2
All you need is -
- Prawns peeled & deveined* - 1/2 pound
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 4
- Black Peppercorns - 4-6
- Black Cardamom - 1
- Green Chilies - 2
- Chopped Onion - 1
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Curd - 2 tbsps
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tbsps
- Hot Water - 2 1/4 cups
- Lemon Juice - 3-4 tsps
* To devein the prawns, make an incision along the back of the prawn and pull out the black thread -like thing (which is the prawn's digestive tract) completely.
This is how we do it -
- Wash the prawns and rub them with salt and turmeric. Set aside.
- Wash the Basmati rice and set it aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsps of ghee.
- Add bay leaf to the ghee and stir for a minute.
- Add peppercorns, cardamom, chillies and cloves and sauté for 1/2 a minute.
- Add chopped onion to the pan and sauté the mixture till the onion turns translucent and golden in colour.
- Add red chili powder and ginger garlic paste & sauté for a minute.
- Once the mixture comes together add curd & mix well.
- Add the prawns to the mixture and cook for a minute.
- Add rice to the pan & mix it in gently as the rice is tender and may break if not mixed carefully. Follow up by adding hot water and mix the rice thoroughly.
- Add salt and cover the pan with a lid. Cook on medium flame for 15 minutes.
- Check Rice every now and then to see if it's cooked. When it's almost done, transfer the rice pan on another flat pan and keep the flat pan on medium heat. Cover the rice pan with a plate and add water to the plate. The indirect heat and water on the plate, will ensure that the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan while getting cooked.
- When rice is fully cooked, squeeze in some lemon juice & garnish it with freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve the pulao with a simple raita of chopped onions mixed with curd & little salt.
All the prawns lovers out there should definitely try this recipe. It's very flavorful, spicy in the right way and makes a complete meal.
Happy Cooking! # prawn pulav #Shrimps #Indian cooking
Link to more Seafood recipes on my blog-
- Garlicky Shrimp & Mixed Greens Salad
- Baked Tilapia & Turnip Greens
- Bharlela Paplet-Stuffed Pomfret Fry
Labels: food, non-vegetarian, recipe, shrimp